All Cuyahoga County ARES members who desire to staff event critical positions such as Emergency Operations Centers and Incident Command Posts are required to take several classes covering the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and the Incident Command Structure (ICS). These classes are offered in an online format by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). While all ARES members are not REQUIRED to take these courses, they are STRONGLY encouraged to complete them. Please keep in mind, a served agency may require additional training courses as prerequisites for participation in a particular event.
- IS-100: Introduction to the Incident Command System
- IS-200: ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents
- IS-700: National Incident Management System, An Introduction
- IS-706: NIMS Intrastate Mutual Aid – An Introduction
- IS-800: National Response Framework, An Introduction
The following courses are strongly suggested by the Cuyahoga County Office of Emergency Management and must be taken in person, not online. Classes are offered by the State of Ohio, and Cuyahoga County.
- G775: Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Management and Operations
Once you complete each course and pass the final exam, you will receive a certificate via email. Please submit individual copies of your certificates online using the Submit Training Certificates page.
ARES Time Logs
If you spend time doing volunteer work, public service events, training classes, special emergency nets (Skywarn), or completing FEMA courses, keep track of your hours and submit a copy for inclusion in the District and Section reports.